January 11, 2016

Essie Retro Revival 2016 "Starry Starry Night" Swatches & Review

Hello all, how was your weekend? Mine was good. I got to catch up with one of my best friends from high school and I also got to meet his boyfriend so that was a lot of fun! I also realized I'll be going back to school in a about a week...it makes me both sad and happy haha.

Today's post is an interesting one. I originally wasn't going to buy this. I was super excited when Essie announced they were going to be bringing back Starry Starry Night...I wasn't the only one (obviously haha) because everyone in both the nail and beauty world was buzzing about it. But then as it got released into the nail world, everyone knew what was up. This "revival" of sorts is not revival at all: the OG Starry Starry Night is nothing like this rerelease. But after watching jessFACE90 on youtube swatch it, I gave in and picked up it up at my local Ulta when I found a new display of it. Unfortunately I don't own the OG formula, but there are bloggers who do and did comparisons (see Pointless Cafe's post here). Anyway enough rant for now onto the swatches:

Starry Starry Night is a deep blue jelly packed with blue and silver glitters. The first time I swatched this, I only used 2 coats but when I went to take pictures, it was super patchy so I had to take it off and start over again. The formula is kind of weird, it's thick but a good thickness (in my opinion) but also patchy too...this is 3 coats plus topcoat.



Macro shot of the glitters...it was surprisingly difficult to capture them!
Overall, I have mixed feelings. I think revamped Starry Starry Night is a pretty polish, don't get me wrong but I feel jipped and some kind of way that Essie would do that. Why you gotta play me like that Essie?? Worth the hype? From what I've heard compared to the OG one, no not really. Otherwise? Yes, it's a pretty polish that most people would probably like to have in their collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment